Friday, January 6, 2012

my first toledo event

it seems that ill be staying in this town for a little while. im not completely sure how life spit me out here, or the thought process that led me to sign a lease, but i do know that when i was an infant my mother left me unattended on her bed for more than fifteen minutes and returned to find me upside down with my head stuck between her mattress and her bedside table, so that may have had something to do with my decision-making process.

anyway, since im here, i need to start a life for myself, so ive decided to go about it in the field in which ive been traditionally successful - nightlife. it has been a slow start, but i announced my first event today. it isn't exactly nightlife, but if i can get the right people to show up itll help me build the kind of notoriety a good nightlife princess needs.

its just an art model job, but i did invite all eight people i know in this town, and kelsey will invite everyone she knows - and she knows a lot of people - so hopefully our invitees will combine with their expected crowd and it'll be a pretty good show. if you want to win nightlife, you have to be known as rather crazy (the kind of crazy that makes you prone to removing your clothes and buying rounds of shots), and extremely self-confident and comfortable in your skin. Ill exhibit all of these qualities a week from tuesday, when i stand nude in a room of nearly 50 people who will be drawing me while drinking heavily.


the girl running the event just moved to toledo (i didnt ask why. i should have. i will tomorrow) from brooklyn only six months ago and we talked about how you can find a drink and draw event every night of the week in brooklyn and i told her many of my friends and i often modeled for them. (slight embellishment) ill be standing on a platform in the center of the warehouse with artists seated all the way around me - no hiding anything! - and she said i can be as creative or as comfortable as id like with posing and props. im debating just putting my feet shoulder width apart pointed forward, arms straight down, chin up, all defiance and raw human pride like something out of ayn rand, but im glad i have time to think. hopefully ill come up with something more creative. im looking around for lightweight, interestingly-shaped objects like vases or candelabras to hold.

with this and all the writing ive been doing for a yet-to-be-announced musical collaboration im working on, plus the painting ive picked up and the truly incredible book im reading (seeking air, by barbara guest), im feeling pretty creatively fulfilled lately. i never wouldve thought it to be possible, but this is an optimistic post from ohio.

oh! if any of you, my dear readers, are in the detroit/toledo area, id love to see you on the 17th!!

No comments: