Sunday, August 14, 2011

Guest Post 12 : Leslie

4 U From Mama

This is not the type of thing I do. In fact, I have never placed any thoughts in written word for public consumption. But, here I am, doing it. My beautiful daughter tells me it is "my generation….we all have a pre-occupation with keeping private things private." Imagine that.
When Alex left home for college, I decided to numb the "empty nest feelings" with graduate school. Can you see a pattern of defective decision making here? On a more serious note, it was a good opportunity to really think about what I valued in life. Of course, it was obvious that I cherish being a wife, mother, nurse, friend, daughter. But, what words truly represent me and not just the roles I chose to fill?
After years of reading and writing (2 ½ to be exact) I realized that many of my perspectives about life can be seen on the front of our refrigerator. They are tattered and old, but held secure with a handmade magnet created by my now, young adult daughter. Some of my favorites include:
 When you engage in fulfilling the needs of others, your own needs are fulfilled as a by-product.
 Life is 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent how you react to what happens.
 Much of what we think matters, doesn't matter as much as we think it does.
 Practice moderation in all things.
 The best things in life are free.
 Make sure you are spending time with the people who matter most to you.
 Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
 Each individual has an opportunity to make a difference.
 Count your blessings before falling asleep every night.
 Live your truth.

All of these words guide me, in one way or another, on a daily basis. They provide perspective in all situations. It represents the core of who I am. My wish for you, dear daughter, is to value yourself to the extent that you discover what your truth is.
I love you to the moon…
Mama

Submitted by Leslie, proud mama of Alexandra - a beautiful, talented and brave young woman.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: