Saturday, July 23, 2011

Guest Post 4: Leila

My Mother's Story



Since I was a lil girl I've always looked up to my mother and loved hearing the stories of her youth. This one stands out the most to me because if it wasn't for the courage of one person I wouldn't be here today writing this story for you.  So here goes. My mother was a city girl being born and raised in Kiev she knew the streets like the back of her hand. She was fearless, beautiful, smart and talented. People to this day tell me of her beauty and charm. She was always the life of the party and everyone wanted to be around her. She worked as a hairstylist at the top salon in the city and the hours were long but hair was her passion. She always took a cab home to be safe but on this night she decided to take the bus instead. The walk to the bus stop was a quiet one. She loved the city at night. As she boarded the bus she noticed two handsome men watching her but she didn't think much of it, she was used to the attention so she just smiled and sat down. As she approached her stop she got up and walked to the front of the bus but when she was walking off she noticed that the two men were following her. They looked harmless she thought so she kept walking. All of a sudden they grabbed her from both sides and as she felt a sharp cold blade against her back she was overcome with fear. Fear for what was about to happen and if she will ever make it home alive. Her life flashed before her eyes and she knew she wasn't ready for it to end. As the men tried to drag her to the nearby park the bus driver yelled out to her, "Are you ok?". She couldn't speak but the fear in her eyes told the whole story. The men told the bus driver, "You could leave we know her." but the driver knew otherwise and what would happen if she left. So she just stood there and said I'm not going anywhere. In anger and frustration one the men jammed the knife into my mothers lower back and though she felt the ice cold blade tear through her she knew she still had a chance to survive. To her surprise the men released her and ran. She fell to her knees crying. She couldn't believe what just happened to her. As she picked herself up out of her own blood and walked back onto the bus she realized the bus was full of people but only one willing to risk their life to save hers. As the bus driver closed the door she smiled at my mother and my mother smiled back at her. She sat down bleeding she thought today isn't going to be my last and the life that flashed before her eyes is just beginning.


-Leila
Bio:

No comments: